All About Avocados
Your cheering has been heard, and AVOCADO is the champion of our NCAA-style bracketed March Madness Produce Playoffs. We’re celebrating our winner by sharing some fun facts, helpful tips and our favorite recipes featuring avocados below.
Avocados are a heart-healthy, nutrient-dense super-food! Nutrient-dense foods are those that provide substantial amounts of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients within a few calories.
1. Avocados contain heart-healthy monosaturated fats, and they are naturally sodium, sugar and cholesterol free!
2. Avocados are great for babies and kids! They are portable, and their creamy texture makes them a wonderful first fresh food to give your little ones.
3. Avocado trees do not self-pollinate; they need another avocado tree close by in order to grow.
4. Avocados are the Aztec symbol of love and fertility because they cannot self-pollinate and they grow in pairs on trees.
5. Avocados can stay on the tree for as long as eighteen months, and they will not ripen until removed from the branch.
Helpful Storage Tips
1. Store unripe avocados on the counter. You can stash them in the fridge to slow the ripening process, or place them in a paper bag if you need to speed up the process.
2. You will know your avocado is ripe when it yields to gentle pressure on the stem end.
3. Pull out the stem of the avocado; if the inside is green, you have a good one!
4. Store your ripe , cut avocados with a sprinkle of lemon juice and place them in an air-tight container or wrap.
5. Leaving the pit in the avocado can also help prevent from browning.
Avocado Deviled Eggs
You won’t even miss the mayo in this tasty twist on the traditional deviled egg. The creaminess of the avocado and the refreshing taste of lime make this dish unforgettable. Click here for the recipe.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse
You’ve got to try this chocolate mousse! It’s chocolatey, rich and we promise you won’t be able to taste the avocado. PS: If you leave off the whipped cream, it’s dairy free! Click here for the recipe.
Avocado Ranch-Style Dressing
Kids and adults alike will love this creamy ranch style dressing. Also makes a great dip for veggies. Click here for the recipe.
Avocado and tomatillo pair perfectly in this creamy and addicting salsa. Click here for the recipe.
Kale and Avocado Tacos with Lime Cream Sauce
These addicting vegetarian tacos come together in a snap and can be customized to your taste. Add some cheese, pepitas or other vegetables. A margarita wouldn’t be bad either… Click here for the recipe.
How To Add Produce and Farm Products To Your Delivery: CSA members – head on over to our online Farm Stand Market to customize your upcoming delivery. The Market is open from noon on Thursday until 6 pm, 2 days before your scheduled delivery day. After you confirm your produce items, click the orange button “Confirm and Continue To Other Farm Products” to add the products to your delivery.
Not part of our farm family? Find out if we deliver to your neighborhood